Sunday, December 7, 2008

Life, as I know it...

This is my blog. I asked Danni to make me one so that I could post my analysis of all my roomates. And of course, as with all things, I really wanted this blog so that I could post about myself...Im a pretty narsisistic human being. But you wont be let down, I'm pretty entertaining. I'm a fun self centered person:) Ok well I'm going to start off from the beggining, give you an idea of how my life is these days, since I know everyone wants to know...First of all, this is my first semester of college, at Eastern Arizona, and it has been the hardest and best of times. Lets talk about the hard times and then I will end on a good note with the best of times. So far from being here I have learned what its like to be alone. I know that sounds pathetic, but to a girl who thrives off of family and friend love, its been pretty tough not having people be obsessed with me every second of the day. I mean, high school was great and all, I guess you could say I had a name for myself, and I was proud of that name. And then when I came here, everything that I built was gone. And now this is where my sisters tell me " Well thats life Jack, time to grow up"... And I'm coming to terms with the whole 'moving on' thing, its just alot harder than I thought it would be. Speaking of moving on, I had a really 'close friend' of mine leave on a mission in May. It was heart breaking,painful, joyous, and it was a HUGE adjustment. But as with all hard things in life, it has made me stronger and better. But I am going to say this, I wish there was a book written on how to cope with having the boy your in love with leave on a mission...now that I think of it, I think I will write it! The whole freshman 15, has been pretty depressing too, My roomates feel the need to go out for ice cream as soon as its 12 am or later, I tell ya college kids have terrible eating habits. Finances have been a gift and a curse for me this semester, I was so happy I had left over scholarship money, but then I quickly found out I am not capable of managing large amounts of money. It results in un-needed trips back home, i pods, short lived hair extentions, fast food, and...ya that about sums up where it all went. And now that Im in the home stretch Im praying I can make rent...Needless to say I have plans to improve myslef in all of these aspects next semester...you live and learn right? And I have also discovered being a college cheerleader is not all that its cracked up to be. Ok now lets move on to why college has been great! I would have to say the best thing about being here is meeting new people, granted I havent been the biggest social butterfly (I have plans to change that also) , But the people I have met and been close with have had a lasting influence on my life. If there is any reason to be glad I came here, it would be for the wonderful people I have met. My roomates in particular...and my running partner. The firesides and devotionals are phenominal, They have a way of always touching my heart and reminding me why I'm important. They keep me going. And since the town I live in is quite small, I have developed an un-dying love for Wal-Mart, I don't know what it is but I love going there. I have learned that they have the best deals around, and Im sure that will help in the long run, when I have to shop frugally for my future family. And its not a bad gig to stay out however late you want, with zero consequences. I cant really think of any other profound things that I have changed me for the better since I have been here. But maybe thats just it, Its all the little things that are happening to me that are shaping me, and making me become the person I am supposed to be. I like to think of myself as a work in progress. I have plenty of things I need change and improve about myself, and Im quite glad I have the opportunity to do so. Life is somewhat of a blank slate for me right now, and I get to decide what I want the picture to look like. Thats empowering. Being on your own forces you to 'dig deep', as Chea would say, and for that lesson I am grateful. I'm finding out life isn't meant to be easy from here on out, in fact I can expect plenty more dissapointments, failing, upset, crying, phone calls home asking for the 'right' answers. But its how I teach myself how to react to these negative things that are going to ultimatley determine the strength within me. So if next semester is just as stressful and hard as this one, I still say give it to me, for learning how to succeed and overcome obstacles on my own, Its worth it.

4 comments:

Chea said...

awwww.. I am so proud. :)

Chea said...

well done Jackie. It was fun to read.

Wayne

Unknown said...

You are awesome, Jackie.

Jackie Lyn said...

Thanks, Im glad you guys read it! cant wait to be home:)